In this article, you will learn how to prepare your service business for the upcoming tax season.
If you run a business in the United States that collects payments using Workiz Pay, you will likely need to report all of that revenue to the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and, potentially, local state tax departments. You will report that income by filing a 1099 form with the relevant tax authorities.
If you’re using Workiz Pay, you’ll receive an email invitation from Stripe to access Stripe Express, a third-party online platform that allows you to access your 1099 form from a web-based portal and mobile app. Workiz uses Stripe technology to support Workiz Pay. Stripe is a reputable software company that gives businesses the tools to create online payment platforms.
If you processed over 200 transactions totaling over $20,000 using Workiz Pay in 2023, you will receive a 1099 form from Stripe Express.
Things to remember
- Workiz does not provide tax documents to Workiz Pay users in Canada. Please consult your local tax authorities for information.
- Eligible Workiz Pay users who processed over 200 transactions totaling over $20,000 using Workiz Pay in 2023 will be receiving an email from Stripe Express by mid-January 2024. Emails will be sent out in phases beginning November 2023.
- Beginning November 2023: Stripe will email you instructions how to set up or access your Stripe Express account. You will need to create an account if you do not have one already.
- Prior to mid-January 2024: You will need to log in to Stripe Express confirm your tax information is correct. This information must match the information provided to use Workiz Pay. We also strongly recommend that you verify your delivery preferences to ensure your 1099 form is delivered as promptly as possible.
- By Jan. 31, 2024:
- If you agreed to paperless delivery (recommended): Your 1099 form will be available for download via Stripe Express.
- If you did not agree to paperless delivery: Your 1099 form will be delivered via mail within 10 business days.
- April 15, 2024: You will need to file your 1099 form to properly file your taxes. This is a deadline set by the IRS.
Frequently asked questions
1099 forms are federal income tax information forms used to report earnings and proceeds other than wages, salaries and tips (which are reported on the federal W-2 form). The forms are filed with the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and, if required, state tax departments.
If you processed over 200 transactions totaling over $20,000 using Workiz Pay in 2023, you will need this form to file your taxes.
Eligible Workiz Pay users who processed over 200 transactions totaling over $20,000 using Workiz Pay in 2023 will be receiving an email from Stripe to create or access their Stripe Express account by mid-January 2024.
If you opted to receive paperless delivery, your 1099 form will be made available online by Jan. 31, 2024. If you opted out of paperless delivery, your 1099 form will be mailed to you by early February 2024.
You can access your 1099 form through Stripe Express. You will receive an email invitation from Stripe Express to create or access your account.
By consenting to paperless delivery (fastest delivery method), Stripe will send you an email notifying you that your 1099 is available for download on Stripe Express.
Stripe Express is a platform that gives you easy access to your 1099 tax forms related to Workiz Pay. It is available as a web-based portal and a mobile app on iOS.
To log into your Stripe Express account, you will need to accept the Stripe Express invitation that will be sent to you via email. If you are having issues logging in after creating an account, please click here.
Stripe uses the information linked to your Workiz account.
If you're not receiving the 2FA text message from Stripe, please confirm that you're not using one of your Workiz numbers as the authentication number. Workiz numbers cannot be used for 2FA purposes.
If your Workiz number is listed as the authentication number, please change the number you have on file with Stripe Express by selecting I no longer have access to this phone number on Stripe's login page. Stripe will then allow you to authenticate via email and change your phone number.
If you've lost or updated your phone number, you can select I no longer have access to this phone number when logging in or creating your Stripe Express account to authenticate via email and change your phone number.
You don't need to download an app. You can either use the web-based portal or the Stripe Express app to access your account and tax information.
If you’d like to download the Stripe Express mobile app, please select your mobile operating system from the options below:
Android OS (not available)
If you did not receive a Stripe Express invitation but believe you should have received one based on your annual earnings, please verify the following:
If you still believe you should have received a Stripe Express invitation, please wait until January 2024. Email invitations will be sent out in waves beginning November 2023.
Check your spam and deleted folders. The email subject line will be "Action required to receive your Workiz tax form".
Confirm that you processed over 200 transactions totaling over $20,000 using Workiz Pay in 2023.
If you earned enough to need a 1099 form for 2023, you should have received an email by mid-January 2024. Emails for pre-filing confirmation were sent out starting Nov. 1, 2023 (this is a separate email from the one you will receive when your form is filed by Workiz Pay in January).
If you cannot find the email, it's possible that:
- The email may be in your junk/spam folder.
- The email address you have with Workiz is incorrect, missing, or unable to receive mail.
- You can use the tool on this page to request a new email invitation from Stripe. But before doing so, we strongly recommend that you check:
- Your spam/junk folders for the original email.
- That Workiz has the correct email address on file.
- That the email address you have with Workiz can receive mail.
You can update your tax information on Stripe Express. It is important that you make any necessary updates before mid-January 2024.
Your SSN, EIN, or ITIN are required to file your 1099 tax form with the IRS and relevant state tax authorities.
Before contacting support, we recommend reviewing the Stripe Express help center relating to 1099 forms.
If you still need help, please contact Stripe support by clicking here.