In this article, you will learn how to issue refunds to your customers who paid for a job, invoice, or estimate.
Refunding online payments
Refunding online payments (e.g., credit cards, ACH) using Workiz Pay can be done in just a few clicks.
Issuing a refund for online payments is only available for payments made within the last 60 days.
Before proceeding, first determine whether or not the online payments you collected is connected to a specific job ID in Workiz.
- For online payments connected to jobs, you will have the option to issue a full or partial refund.
- Open the relevant job and select the Payments tab
- Next to the payment you want to refund, select the refund icon
- Create your refund:
- Refund options: Choose the type of refund you want to issue (full or partial)
- (Optional) Reason: Enter a brief reason for the refund
- Receipt: Choose whether you want to automatically send your client a receipt of the refund
- Select Refund payment
- When issuing a refund for payments not linked to jobs (e.g., standalone estimates or invoices), you will only have the option to issue a full refund.
- Open the relevant estimate or invoice
- Next to the payment you want to refund, select > Confirm
- Select Refund card
Refunding offline payments
If you collected an offline payment (e.g., cash, check, credit), you can log a refund in several different ways depending on whether you want to keep a record of the original payment and refund:
|Deleting the payment||Deleting a payment will remove it from the payment history altogether. There will be no record of the original payment being made. You will not be able to send a receipt to your client.|
|Adding a negative credit||Adding a negative credit will allow you to keep a log of the refunded payment. You can enter "Refund" in the confirmation field to help you keep track of what took place.|
What to expect after issuing refunds
When issuing a refund for an online payment, your customer should expect to see their refund issued as a credit on their bank statement, typically between 5–10 business days. The email receipts you send to your clients will include the this timeline.
When possible, the refunded amount will be deducted from your Workiz Pay balance (i.e., the Workiz Pay collections that have yet to be paid out to your business bank account). If the refunded amount exceeds your Workiz Pay balance, the remaining amount will be debited from your bank account.
All online refunds are visible from the Payments report in your Workiz account.